Monday, March 5, 2012

Guarding Your Home From Evil Dirt?



Since I used this vacuum today, I suppose its as good a choice as any to start off this blog with. The Aerus (by Electrolux) Guardian (Model C154B) is by far the topmost top-of-the-line vacuum I own. I bought it about five months ago from a local seller, and paid, for a used vacuum, a decent price, but I have to admit its worth it. It came with all the standard accessories, namely the Sidekick, upholstery nozzle, dusting brush, crevice tool, and combination rug/floor nozzle. As an added bonus, the seller also threw in an extra hose, Sidekick, wand set, bags, and Clean Sweep Chips that she had saved from an earlier machine, and I recently added a brand new HEPA filter. The only noticeable "problem" is the replacement black cord rewind pedal...it should be pale blue.

The Style R Electrolux and Aerus vacuums (namely, the two Renaissances, Epic 8000, two or possibly three Lux 9000s*, and six Guardians*) are my personal favorites of all the models produced by the company. They came at a premium price, for sure, but when using the Guardian and the other Style R machines, I do get the feeling that I'm using something "first class". 



Here are a few pros of the Guardian, gathered over 5 or so months of use:

1. Relatively lightweight - not as light as the Style C models, but not heavy either. Its noticeably more lightweight than the other Style R models, perhaps because the newer style motor is lighter (I can't think of anything else that would make the weight different)

2. Easy to carry with the top and middle-mounted carrying handles





3. Maneuvers and swivels quite easily on its 5 wheels/casters



4. On-board, recessed, telescopic/swivel/latch fit attachments (I love this attachment set!)

UPDATE 03-03-14: I've long since replaced the dusting brush and crevice tool, because, as can be seen from these pictures, the dusting brush latch was worn, and the crevice tool cracked. Also, the seller had a secondary filter underneath the attachment tray...why, I don't know, but I've since removed it.






5. Top mounted pedal cord rewind (a boon for an arthritis sufferer who finds bending difficult). Also, the flared plug and extra space under the plug makes it quite easy to pull the cord out.



6. Long cord; can clean entire floor of house from one outlet (previous models had considerably shorter cords)

7. HEPA filter - I'll admit to not understanding HEPA filters very well, but I will say that the Guardian doesn't emit much of a smell as the bag fills up, as other vacuums do 




8. Hose handle power and speed controls (one of its best features)



9. Variable speed motor (another of its best features) - pretty much every time I use the Guardian, I use all 3 speeds, for different tasks. 

10. Electric wand system and swivel power nozzle elbow - the wands and hose handle are indeed a bit "fat", but having all the wiring and connectors integrated in the housing is a huge bonus. The wands can be disconnected, and used with both the electric and non-electric attachments (I sometimes grip the underside of the handle to make it a little easier when using attachments), and the power nozzle can swivel 180 degrees to go under furniture.



My Guardian hasn't disappointed me yet...in fact, its made me want to collect all the other Style R machines!




The Guardian doesn't have many disadvantages. Perhaps the most obvious one is the top-mounted HEPA filter. If one is very careful, I imagine the filter would stay tightly latched until the end of its life, but in everyday use, its a mistake to have it there. Pity the engineers couldn't have recessed it in the body of the cleaner.

The pitch of the motor, especially on high speed, took some getting used to, but I don't mind it now. Its just considerably different from other models.

So, there you have it...the Aerus (by Electrolux) Guardian. Truly, even after only 5 or so months of use, one of my most prized vacuums.


*There are so many varieties of the Style R HEPA filter models (i.e. the Lux 9000s and the Guardians) that I've decided to create a separate page to see if I can catalog their differences.


No comments:

Post a Comment